MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE MEMBERS
OF LONGMONT AREA DEMOCRATS
HELD APRIL 3, 2008
A Regular Meeting of the Members of Longmont Area Democrats was held March 5, 2008
at the Longmont Public Works Center 375 Airport Road, Longmont, Colorado 80503, commencing
at approximately 7:03 p.m.
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by President Marilyn Hughes who presided. Board Secretary
Jack Wolfe, acted as Secretary of the meeting.
Forty-six members and guests were present.
President Hughes announced the following:
– upcoming Betsey Markey fundraiser
– City of Longmont needs to YOU to serve on boards and commissions; please volunteer
– Contact Dan Gould to volunteer on Brandon Shaffer’s campaign
– May 7 LAD meeting will be on environmental issues th
– June 4 LAD meeting will be the State Legislative Wrap-Up th
– July LAD meeting will be the annual picnic.
LANCE MELTING and JAMIE LATHROP
Vice President Bob Roy asked those in attendance to observe a few moments of silence and
prayer for Lance Melting, who was killed, and his wife Jamie Lathrop, who was seriously injured,
in the recent I-70 accident on Vail Pass. They were delegates at the County Convention and
Assembly, and Lance leaves 4 children.
CITY OF LONGMONT PRESENTATION
President Hughes introduced Longmont Mayor Roger Lange and Mayor Pro-tem Karen
Benker who discussed the following items from the recent City Council Retreat that are part of the
2008 Workplan for City Council.
– conservation of water and energy
– renewable energy
– Environmental Conference to be held in 3 or 4 Quarter to garner citizen input rd th
Longmont Area Democrats
Member Meeting Minutes,
April 2, 2008
– how to better reach out to residents
– Eastern Border
– need for IGA with communities to the east
– how far east should Longmont extend
– should we have a green-belt buffer to the east and/or around Union Reservoir
– Economic Development
– RTD Fastracks – one track to Boulder or two – two tracks are critical
– Flour Mill Transit Station and potential surrounding development
– Main Street
– Twin Peaks Mall
Mayor Lange and Ms. Benker responded to questions after each segment and at the end.
The next meeting will be at the Public Works Center on May 7 , and will focus on th
environmental issues at the City and County level.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, it was adjourned at approximately
Jack P. Wolfe